Monday, 20 July 2009

Week of 25 December 1944

Monday, 25 December

210 Coleherne Court

A cold morning with thick white frost. Tube and underground men on strike and busses few and far between.

Mabel and I arrived very late for the Communion Service. A crammed church and an impressive Christmas tree.

We came back here for lunch which Lil had got all ready for us. P and O had provided most of the food. A Lyd cockerel and a plum pudding. Afterwards Mabel went out to Ethel Browning. Roddy was coming here in the afternoon but lack of transport prevented.

Tuesday, 26 December

A bitterly cold day. In the afternoon I went down and sat with Ethel Browning who is still in bed but better. I took her some scones which I had baked in the morning. Ruth was out in the morning.

News given out that Winston Churchill and Eden are in Athens.

Wednesday, 27 December

Did a little shopping and lunched at Jane Brown before going on to spend the afternoon with Mabel who is in bed with a sharp go of neuritis.

Dr Atkinson came to see her after tea and ordered her a pain killer which I fetched from Strickland.

Lil took Jeremy to a pantomime of Cinderella which he greatly enjoyed.

Thursday, 28 December

Colder than ever, and the papers say the temp is lower than it has ever been since recordings were taken. I sat with Mabel in the morning and found her distinctly better.

After lunch Ruth met me at the Lyric Hammersmith to see Pygmalion. I was disappointed both by the play and the acting.

We had tea at Stewart's afterwards.

Friday, 29 December

A very foggy morning. Lil and I had an early lunch at the pub and then started off in the tube for the New Theatre. We left ample time but there was a breakdown in the tube and we remained motionless for over half an hour and were eventually put out at Hyde Park Corner. By dint of bus and running we arrived just in time to see the curtains go up for Richard III. A magnificent performance by Lawrence Olivier and beautifully put on.

Saturday, 30 December

A thick hoar frost and very slippery underfoot. I heard that Anne had neuralgia so bussed out in time for lunch after sitting a little with Mabel who is still in bed but definitely better.

I took Sarah out in the afternoon and we went up on the Health and walked. Little boys tobogganing down the muddy slopes.

Sunday, 31 December

Still as cold as ever but it thawed during the day. I did not go to church. We were busy all the morning preparing lunch for Roddy, Diana and Jeremy. Lil had arranged very fine eats and drinks, and everything went very well. In the afternoon I played chess with Jeremy. They left before tea. Later I went and sat with Mabel who was up in the drawing-room.

No comments:

Post a Comment