Friday, 10 May 2013

Week of 5 March 1956

Monday, 5 March
London - Tripoli
A lovely morning. Did 11th hour chores and left home at 12.15 for BOAC terminal. Everything went very smoothly. No extra to pay on luggage. Left airport at 2.45 in Argonaut ?. Smooth flight, no bumps, good meals but rather cramped seating. Glorious sunset. Arrived nearly an hour before schedule so P and J were not there to meet me but turned up soon after. Major John West drove us back in his car. All very pleasant and exciting. Delightful flat. Had a cup of ovaltine and got into bed soon after midnight.

Tuesday, 6 March
Villa Potenza - Tripoli
Slept soundly in my very comfortable bed. Woke to a cloudy English sky. Felt awfully tired and stayed in bed most of morning. Pont and Johnny away early but back for lunch. Johnny very pleased with the dinky toys I brought him. Later, Pont drove us round the town and back by the harbour, really lovely. After tea, Bet and I took a short walk down to the Italian shop and Pont played half a round of golf. Early to bed.

Wednesday, 7 March
Not a very good night but woke less tired. A divinely beautiful morning, and Bet and I walked down to the Cathedral Square where we drank glasses of coffee out of doors, and then did shopping including many PPCs. Then took a gharry home, and shelled peas on the verandah. In the afternoon P and J played tennisand I rested, and then had tea with Major and Mrs West who live in the flat at the other side of the landing. Later P and J drove me down by the sea and back via the "railway station", stopping ot buy local wine and gorgonzola.

Thursday, 8 March
Pont drove us to the links about 3 miles out of the town. I sat by the club house whilst Bet and Joy West played a few holes (Pont had a round with a friend). I talked to some members an d a Col. Thompson on leave from Cyprus. We got home for tea which I had in my bedroom and rested till supper.

Friday, 9 March
We walked down to the town and had a pleasant time in the market buying weekend provisions. After lunch Pont dropped us at the Castle which we explored a little. I was too blind to enjoy it much and felt tired and depressed all day. Bet and Joy went to their Italian class. I read to Johnny. We had a late supper and Pont did not get back till later still as he had lost all his keys and had great difficulty in getting home in the car.

Saturday, 10 March
Pont brought me tea at 7 am and told me had just heard on the wireless that Makarios had been deported by plane from Cyprus!! In the afternoon put out a chair at the back of the house and basked in the sunshine and talked with Major West about CH. Bet and Pont went to a cocktail party and I had my solo supper on a trolley by the drawing room fire, listening to the West's wireless and writing more PPCs.

Sunday, 11 March
After the Howsons' return from mass we collected a picnic lunch and drove to Sabratha - 40 miles of palms, eucalyptus trees, cactus, wells etc. stopping at a miniature and delightful Italian village called Ollietto with a charming church. Lunched at Sabratha by the wonderful Roman theatre (ruins by the edge of the sea) and afterwards explored.

1 comment:

  1. I am extremely impressed with your writing skills as well as with the layout on
    your blog. Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself?
    Anyway keep up the excellent quality writing, it's rare to see a great blog like this one today.

    Feel free to surf to my web page - vigrx