Sunday, 8 March 2009

Week of Monday, 27 September 1943

Monday, 27 September


Still very cold, with a feeling almost of snow. I met Kay Gooden in the village (just here for a couple of hours) and she came in for lunch.

In the evening I rang up Wilma and she agreed to my suggestion that she should come here next weekend, and I said I would pay all expenses.

A lovely plan, and she will travel down from London with Grattan and Anne on Friday evening.


Tuesday, 28 September

Bitterly cold again.


Wednesday, 29 September

Less cold but dark and unpleasant. Received notice from the Clerk to the Justices of the Peace that I had been ordered to pay £2 fine for black-out offence.

Monty came in after tea.

I took up some carrots in the afternoon.

The Fifth Army have broken through the mountains into the plains of Naples and the Germans are retreating.

Thursday, 30 September

Mild and muggy. I biked to Halstead and back in the afternoon, left my watch at Morley’s, and was lucky in being able to get a duspsban ????? for Anne. They are nearly extinct.


Friday, 1 October

A lovely day, almost too mild!

Anne went up to town by 10 am train, just for the day.

I had a very busy time preparing for Wilma’s arrival (a slap-up supper), picking mushrooms, sending runner beans to Amy Birch, etc. etc. I actually took my lunch out of doors, beside Sarah’s pram. Not bad for the first day of October!

Anne, Wilma and Grattan turned up in time for supper. Wilma looks awfully fit.

We have taken Naples.

Saturday, 2 October

A glorious autumn morning.

Wilma thoroughly enjoyed the large dish of mushrooms for breakfast, the first she has had for years. She helped me collect Michaelmas Daisies and apples for decorating the church for Harvest Thanksgiving tomorrow.


Sunday, 3 October

A sharp white frost, and it felt very cold when I walked down to Early Communion. The church was decorated quite adequately for Harvest Thanksgiving but without Guy Hepher’s distinction.

I did not go to church again. I was busy in the kitchen all morning.

In the afternoon Major Lowe came up and it was decided that he should move in on October 19th for the winter months at a weekly tenancy of 30/-. It will suit me well as it will keep the house aired. We mowed part of the lawn in front of the house. Wilma paid a round of village calls.

No comments:

Post a Comment