Thursday 18 June 2009

Week of 7 August 1944

Monday, 7 August

Sheepcote

A perfect Bank Holiday.

I roast a chicken for dinner and Mrs Rowland helped me stuff it. We hadn’t seen a fowl for months and I felt terribly responsible, but it was very good.

The news from the various fronts gets better and better.

 

Tuesday, 8 August

Sheepcote

Lovely day!

 

Wednesday, 9 August

Hot day.

Our advance goes well in France.

Made a little jam with the last of the currants and raspberries.

 

Thursday, 10 August

Another hot day.

War news very good.

Made 3 and a half pounds of apricot jam. Coe started cleaning out stables.

 

Friday, 11 August

As hot as ever.Nothing much doing. Mabel seedy with an inside upset.

General Montgomery gave a very optimistic speech to his troops in France.

 

 

Saturday, 11 August

A lovely day. Still very hot. I felt very tired and did not come down much before lunch.

Enid did a great work for me listing a lot of books.

 

Sunday, 13 August

Lovely day. Mabel and I went to morning service.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment