Saturday 5 September 2009

Week of 21 May 1945

Monday, 21 May
Christ's Hospital

A very uncertain day but the rain has kept off. All three children bathed in the morning, and I went down to watch them. In the afternoon Pips drove them over to Billingshurst for a fĂȘte. I rested till teatime. Gardened a little afterwards, but still feel a worm.

Tuesday, 22 May
Felt very poorly and stayed in bed till teatime.
Reg rang me up from the farm to say that he was feeling rotten with a gastric upset and postponing my going to Elmhurst till Thursday. Mabel rang up in the evening to know how I was.

Wednesday, 23 May
Feeling better today and got up and down by 12 o'clock. Did some mild gardening both before and after lunch, but am not up to much.
Took Philippa and Nicky down to the swimming bath at 6 o'clock whilst Pips and Oswald went down to the Goodwins for a drink.

Thursday, 24 May
Quite a wintry day. Reg and Horie called for me at 10.30 and I drove with them to the Farm where I had lunch and tea. I took a walk with Reg and we had a long talk about my future plans. He suggested that I should consider buying a small house as he thinks there are more on the market, and that it might be a very good investment.
After supper Oswald mowed the lawns and did not get finished till 10.30.

Friday, 25 May
A much finer day and Mabel (who arrived before lunch) was able to sit out in the afternoon.
After tea we all went down to the swimming bath and watched Philippa and Nicky. James did not go in as he has a bit of a cold.
Oswald went up to town after lunch for a headmasters' meeting and is spending the night with Anne.

Saturday, 26 May
Christ's Hospital - 179 West Heath Road
A very wet morning and afternoon but has cleared into a lovely evening. Mabel and I left by the afternoon lunch train, laden with flowers, eggs, etc. and Pippa had also sent Anne a lovely chunk of Lyd ham. Arrived at Hampstead in time for tea, and found Anne and Sarah very well.

Sunday, 27 May
179 West Heath Road
Bitterly cold day, but turned nice in the afternoon. Anne went to church in the morning and I took Sarah for a walk.
In the afternoon, I went in to have tea with Lil. I looked at De Vere Cottages at Pembroke Place behind the Kensington Cinema where Teddie Voolis [?] owns some properties which may possibly be to let. I was not favourably impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment