Sunday 3 January 2010

Week of 30 December 1946

Monday, 30 December

47 Hamilton Terrace

Will's birthday. I lunched with Lil. Bet rang me up there to ask me to go out to Anne's flat to post down Grattan's identity card and some other small items, including rosaries. They had had to go into Ipswich for a police court enquiry. The inquest is to be tomorrow afternoon and then Grattan's body will be brought out to Wenham. The funeral will be on Wednesday afternoon. He will be buried in the churchyard opposite Bet's house. No flowers and no-one to go except James Scott, brother-in-law.

Much telephoning

Tuesday, 31 December

Pippa and Oswald slept here

I went in the morning to Marylebone Town Hall about my identity card and Wilma's and my new clothing book. In the afternoon I got my signature witnessed at the local post office for ditto.

Felt very poorly - deferred shock I suppose. Bet rang up in the evening to say that there had been an inquest and Hester had been congratulated on the way she had behaved and given evidence. Grattan's coffin was in the little room adjoining Anne's, and Sarah was sleeping with Wilma.

Pips and Oswald arrived in the evening for 2 nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment