Tuesday, 12 January 2010

Week of 7 April 1947

Monday, 7 April

47 Hamilton Terrace

John Carolan did a morning's work, rolling, cleaning up front garden, back steps etc. etc. - also pruning roses. Mabel came to lunch and stayed till after tea. I suggested the possibility of her seeing Dr Moncrieff - no decision taken.

Tuesday, 8 April

I went to the French Tapestry Exhibition in the morning - lunched at Venice - looked in at Mabel afterwards - had an interview with Mr Gilkes, agent, who was not very optimistic about letting my house - got photo taken at Harrods for passport and home to tea.

Wednesday, 9 April

Did not feel up to much but went out a little morning and evening. Celia went on with the spring cleaning in the dining room.

Reg rang up in the evening feeling low.

Thursday, 10 April

Celia finished spring cleaning dining room. I went to the Travel Bureau in Park Lane and arranged for rooms to be booked for Reg and me in Geneva for May 25 and 26th. After tea went to see Tooth who presented me with 3 eggs. He is getting in touch with a client, Lady Hatfield, who might possibly come to rent this house for 6 weeks. Then on to tea with Enid and finally looked in on Mab.

Friday, 11 April

I shopped locally in the morning and Ruth came to lunch. Afterwards we went round to the Anglo-French Club at 29 Elm Tree Rd to see a small collection of modern Spanish painters. Very odd.

I brought her back to tea which we had out on the loggia. The first time this year! Rang up Reg who was feeling more cheerful.

Saturday, 12 April

I went to 8 shops to day for a shirt and finally bought a dark grey utility at Liberty's. Lunched at home. Phoned Mrs Binst [?] at the request of Gerald Tooth, and she will come to inspect the house tomorrow on behalf of Lady Hatfield.

After an early tea, I bussed out to see Dr Moncrieff at Hendon and talked to her about Mabel. She thinks she may be able to help her and has given her an appointment for next Saturday.

Reg rang up and is willing I should try and books rooms at Cranz.

Sunday, 13 April

I went to St John's Wood Chapel for Morning Service. Afterwards Mrs Buist and her daughter came to see the house with a view to taking it for a couple of months. Mable and I both got the idea that nothing would come of it.

Mabel and I had tea on the verandah, and afterwards she went to St Martin's. John Carolan mowed the lawn for me this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment