Tuesday 9 February 2010

Week of 20 October 1947

Monday, 20 October

47 Hamilton Terrace - Studley Priory

Had car to take me to 9.45 train from Paddington to Oxford. Was met there by Ray Bawtree in Lanchester. Place looking lovely and Wilma in great fettle and very welcoming.

Felt dead to the world and rather fearing flu. Only General Davidson and Canon and Mrs Sanders here at the moment. Had tea with the Bawtrees in their private sitting room. Very nice.

Daphne Pemberton's niece, Elizabeth Trevor, is here as cook. Very pleasant. Eaties top hole.

Tuesday, 21 October

Studley Priory

I had a lovely night and felt a lot better. Drove in to Oxford with Tess in the morning, and in the afternoon Wilma and I took a delightful walk together over fields.

Wednesday, 22 October

A wet morning and I did not go out till after lunch, but worked on my green cardigan and did some writing. In the afternoon I helped Wilma put in wallflowers and did some hoeing in the lavender garden.

Felt much better than yesterday.

Thursday, 23 October

Studley Priory - 47 Hamilton Terrace

Came down for a 9 o'clock breakfast and drove into Oxford with Ray and Tess and Jenny and caught the 10.40 train to Paddington. Got here soon after 1 o'clock and cooked myself some lunch.

Later on went to tea with Lil and did some shopping en route. Lil very poorly with a nasty boil.

Friday, 24 October

47 Hamilton Terrace

Very busy making up arrears. Mabel came out to tea.

Had a pleasant evening reading a Commentary on TS Eliot and listening in to Electra.

Saturday, 11 October

I shopped in the morning and posted some compost to Wilma. In the afternoon Helen Muir came to tea and helped me pot some hyacinths which I got from Clifton Nurseries. I put half of them in Maye Bruce's compost, and the remainder in a mixture of compost and soil.

Sunday, 26 October

I went to morning service at St John's Wood Chapel where Prebendary Saunders preached a very interesting sermon. In the afternoon I did some writing and then went to Lil for tea. I found her up and much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment