Friday 19 February 2010

Week of 28 January 1948

Monday, 26 January

47 Hamilton Terrace

Very wet morning and I stayed indoors and got through a lot of useful chores. After lunch Mr Thorougood came to discuss my claim on the Sun Ins. He thought it very reasonable and only cut down on a couple of items, reducing total from £19-16-8 to £84-11-8.

After he left I went to tea with Enid and then on to Mabel who was not feeling so well today.

Tuesday, 27 January

I fetched my bi-focal glasses from ? Martin , and did some other shopping. After lunch I went to Jane Morris and got a pink veil put on my black hat.

Back to tea and finished my income and expenditure account for 1947.

Wednesday, 28 January

I went out to Hampstead Garden Suburb to get my tweed suit altered by Bernard, and lunched at the Four Ways Restaurant opposite. Had my hair waved in the afternoon, and Margaret Thompson brought Francis in here for a few minutes.

Thursday, 29 January

Changed books at Harrods and shopped in morning.

In the afternoon, went to Indian Art Exhibition at Burlington House. Very empty and could see the exhibits in perfect comfort. Bet rang up in the evening to say she and Pont were up in town with friends, and she would come to breakfast with me tomorrow.

Friday, 30 January

I got up early to be down and ready for Bet who did not arrive till after 9.30. She was looking well and we had a nice talk. Later went out together to Bourne and Hollingworth where she got a satisfactory maternity garment. I got back for lunch and in the afternoon went to tea with Mab and looked in on Enid afterwards.

Terrible news - Gandhi has been assassinated.

Saturday, 31 January

Lunched with Kathleen Hill and went with her to the Mercury Theatre to see 2 plays by James Bridie. Greatly enjoyed them. Then on to tea with Lil who was looking and feeling very poorly. Mabel is also feeling poorly with fibrosis.

Rang up Anne. She and Sarah are up and about again. Reg rang up and sounded in good spirits.

Sunday, 1 February

I went out to morning service at St John's Wood Chapel and stayed for Sung Eucharist. In the afternoon Miss Knight came out from Wimbledon and stayed for tea. We had not met for 8 years. She is very little changed and thought the same of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment