Thursday 11 February 2010

Week of 3 November 1947

Monday, 3 November

47 Hamilton Terrace

Did some shopping in morning including the choosing of records at Murdoch's for Mabel to give Sarah. In the afternoon met Joan at Waterloo and took her across to Paddington, stopping en route for an ice.

In touch with Lil and Mabel, both of whom sound a lot better.

Tuesday, 4 November

I did not feel up to much and did not stir out in the afternoon.

Wednesday, 5 November

I was busy roasting a partridge and in general cooking a lunch for Enid. We had a very pleasant time, but she was feeling very tired and left before tea.

Mabel in bed all day with a very heavy cold.

Guy Fawkes' night and a lot of crashes and bangs going on.

Thursday, 6 November

After an early lunch I went in and sat with Mabel for a bit who was up in the drawing room but still full of cold. I got back quite early which was just as well as later the fog came down in a thick blanket.

Friday, 7 November

Slept badly and felt very good for nothing. A grimenz [?]. I stayed in bed late - did the necessary Clifton Road shopping before lunch and did not go out again.

Rested most of the afternoon and later Mr Reid of the Genuine Co. brought back Anne's portable wireless which he has been doing up for me. It seems to go very well but so far I cannot get the Third Programme on it.

Saturday, 8 November

A lovely day with bright sun and I felt a lot better. Met Wilma and Jenny Bawtree at Paddington in the morning and went across with them to Liverpool St. Their train from Oxford was half an hour late and they only just caught the 12.38 train to Colchester. They are spending one night with Anne and will come here tomorrow for supper before going on to Studley.

I went on to lunch with Lil who is much better. I got back early and heeled in some M daisies which had come from Bakess of Wolverhampton.

Sunday, 9 November

I felt a very poor thing and stayed in bed till lunch, and did not leave the house at all. I did a little cooking in the afternoon. Wilma and Jenny Bawtree turned up from Boxted at 7.30 and left again for Paddington at 9.30. Wilma looked very well and liked Anne's cottage.

No comments:

Post a Comment