Thursday 10 June 2010

Week of 20 September 1948

Monday, 20 September 1948

47 Hamilton Terrace

A lovely bright day and I felt much better. Shopped in morning and I got a pair of sheets and 2 pillow cases at DH Evans. In the afternoon Mabel's Valborg and Elizabeth Thompson's Lilla had tea in the dining room with Toini.

Tuesday, 21 September

I met Joan at Victoria and took her to lunch at the Lyon's Corner House, Strand, before going to Charing X station where we met all the Bawtree family and, after a long wait, all the Bedgebury Park girls got into their train at 2.45 and I came home, a bit tired. Mabel came out soon afterwards and stayed till the 6 o'clock news. Reg rang up in the evening.

Wednesday, 22 September

I lunched early and met Mabel at the Curzon Cinema to see the French film Monsieur Vincent. Very fine.

I then went on to Lil where I had tea. She was sitting up in her dressing gown in the drawing room.

Thursday, 23 September

I did not leave my district. Shopped and cooked in the morning. After tea I worked in the front garden, taking up the petunias and giving the bed a good tidy up. I enjoyed it very much. This is Barnaby's birthday. He is four and he and Alice are having a joint celebration.

Friday, 24 September

I had tea on the loggia and afterwards worked in the garden till supper.

Saturday, 25 September

I lunched with Lil, sat with Enid afterwards and then went on to tea with Lil and stopped there for a couple of hours. She was up in the drawing room but not feeling awfully good.

Sunday, 26 September

Anne and Sarah slept here

I slept badly and felt very tired but walked up to St John's Wood Chapel for the 9.30 Communion. Anne and Sarah arrived about 5.30 pm after travelling all night from Ireland. They looked wonderfully fresh.

Mabel came out to tea, and Enid arrived later to see them both.

No comments:

Post a Comment