Friday 19 November 2010

Week of 6 June 1949

Monday, 6 June

47 Hamilton Terrace

Lil slept here

A lovely day. I felt much better and spent most of it in the garden or loggia.

Ella and Alice Cree came to tea. Lil lunched with Enid and found her much better.

Wednesday, 8 June

Lil slept here

Felt very poorly all day, and did nothing except the necessary local shopping.

Lil lunched with Roddy at the Savoy and came back for tea. Winifred, her maid, came out afterwards and broke the horrid news that she means to leave her but not till after the end of August.

Thursday, 9 June

Lil slept here

I felt quite a lot better and able to enjoy having Eric to lunch. He brought me lovely flowers and I on my side gave him a very nice meal - mushroom soup, trout and new potatoes; lemon curd tart, gruyere cheese and coffee.

Lil went out to see The Snake Pit and was not unduly horrified.

Friday, 10 June

Joan slept here

A fine day but terribly hectic! Lil poorly but got off safely after lunch. Ellen's daughter-in-law has had a miscarriage and there have been endless comings and goings.

Mabel had tea with me, and after she left Esmée Monty turned up unexpectedly and stayed till 7.30. I nearly passed out!!

Sunday, 12 June

Got a wire from Bet postponing coming up tomorrow and saying she was ?? A great disappointment and I wondered if there was any illness. I rang up in the evening but could get no answer. It has been an agitating day with all sorts of happenings in the Hickey family.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment