Sunday 23 June 2013

Week of 27 August 1956

Monday, 27 August
Riversdale, Long Preston
Weather as dreadful as ever.I didn't stir out of doors till after tea when I took a short walk along the road. I had a bumper post this morning including letters from Pakistan and Tripoli.
Tuesday, 28 August
The worst day yet, I think. So cold and wet. Sarah went to Bradford for dentistry and stopped at Skipton on the way back for a film so was away all day. I stayed in bed till lunch and listened to the funeral service for Cardinal Griffin at Westminster Cathedral. Very beautiful.
Wednesday, 29 August
A much better day at last though still too cold for my liking. Peter and I walked down to the village in the morning and I brought back ice creams. Before lunch we walked to the Bridge and watched a diesel engine, 8500 HP, being tested. There are only two in the world - one in the states and this one here. Bram, Anne and Sarah went to see A Town Like Alice at Settle.
Thursday, 30 August
A better day with bright intervals, and Mabel arrived in sunshine but it is still very cold. Bram, Sarah and I met her at Hellefield at 6 o'clock. She looked very tired. I helped her to unpack and settle in. I think she liked her room which is really very comfortable and was delighted with the kitchen.
Friday, 31 August
A lovely day at last. Mabel slept later and was more rested. She walked down with me to Long Preston before lunch. Afterwards she and I drove to Haworth Parsonage, dropping Anne, Sarah and Peter at Skipton. Mab and I greatly enjoyed the drive (we came home over the moors) and seeing over the house, and we had tea at the Brontë Guest House. Drive cost £4-5-0 but it was worth it.
Saturday, 1 September
Partridge Shooting begins
Woke to a really lovely sunny morning and it kept fine all day, but bitterly cold. Bram took us on a lovely drive in the afternoon, first to Sheffield where we did some shopping, then to Stackhouse which Mabel did not like! Then a beautiful round over the moors.
Sunday, 2 September
A hideous day of gale and downpour, but all the same Mab and I both felt better. A Canadian nephew of Bram's came up after lunch and spent the rest of the day here. Very pleasant, Robin Brammall, aged 20.

No comments:

Post a Comment