Thursday, 13 June 2013

Week of 9 July 1956

Monday, 9 July
Grand Hôtel des Sables Blancs, Tréboul
We both slept splendidly but woke to a cold damp morning so did not hurry up. Ordered baths but the water was barely tepid so nothing doing.
Took a 1.30 coach to Pointe du Raz - the Land's End of France, getting back about 7.30. We stopped to look at three most interesting churches - Comfort?, Pont Croix and St Eugène. Had tea at the Raz and walked to the point. Glorious sunshine but very windy. Stopped at Audierne on return, most picturesque port. A big post for me from Reg, Enid and Lil. Reg sounded poorly and depressed.

Pointe du Raz

Tuesday, 10 July
A lovely morning. We walked down to Tréboul Port by a very pretty side walk and came back to lunch. Afterwards caught a 3 o'clock bus to Douarnenez where Mabel had a devil of a time sending a PPC to South America. Then to tea at the Cabane in a beautiful position at the edge of the harbour. We then walked to Douarnenez Port and caught a 5.30 bus back. I had a crêpe at Tréboul before walking (on my own of course) to the Hôtel des Roches Blanches where I had a Dubonnet. A good 2 kilometres each way and very hilly but worth it. It reminded me of the highlands with some Mediterranean thrown in.
Wednesday, 11 June
An absolutely perfect summer day. We spent the whole morning and did not move beyond the hotel all day except to buy a little Quimper pottery in the shop next door. I sat out till bedtime. A lovely day for our last.
Thursday, 12 July
Tréboul - Falaise
Packed in morning. Paid hotel bill and after lunch drove to Quimper in a hotel taxi and caught the 2.25 bus to St Malo. As uncomfortable and jolty as before and we were glad when we reached St Malo at about 7 o'clock. After getting our things into our cabin we had an adequate but uninspiring supper on board and then watched the ship being manoeuvred into the sea lock, very interesting. Rather a rough crossing but we got quite a lot of sleep, and thanks to Quells were not sick.
Friday, 13 July
Falaise - Hamilton Terrace
I was up on deck to watch the entry into Southampton Water, but it was very dull and misty and presently started to rain. We breakfasted on board and caught the 8 o'clock boat train for Waterloo which we reached after 10 o'clock and got a taxi for our respective homes. Found letters from Pakistan, Tripoli and Anne (I had had Wilma's the previous day). I had almost given up Clara but she arrived at 11.30 when I went down to Clifton Road to get something for lunch and have my hair done.

No comments:

Post a Comment